January 01, 2008

Year's End

It is time for the all important assessment of the past year. You can check out my lofty goals from way back in January of 2007 here to see what I wanted my year to look like. How well did I do?

  • Poetry-I did start the Poetry list from The Well-Educated Mind by Bauer but I got hung up on The Odes of Horace. After getting just over halfway through it I've decided I can put it aside for now so I can move on. I am proud to have gotten through some of those Homeric epics.
  • History-I was able to get through several historical books, enough to be at the same level as my 9th grader up to this point.
  • Classics-I don't think I will ever have to set this as a goal since I can't imagine being without my classics. There is a good reason these have endured throughout time and I am glad I didn't miss out on them.
  • Music-I bought a couple of CDs but I didn't listen to them much. The closest I got was all that Jim Brickman Christmas music.
  • Religion-Another one I wish I had been more diligent about. There was a little but not exactly what I wanted.
  • Routine-The is nothing like classical education to form routine in one's life. It could have been better but I wasn't trying to move mountains, just improve the flow of the household.
  • Family-Some yes and some no. I have spent a lot more time with my kiddos because of school and we did go on a real family vacation in the summer but I had more in mind for a daily or weekly togetherness.

All in all, I think I did fairly well but there are definitely areas that need improving. I need make a priority of prioritizing, if you know what I mean. I need to give the new year a bit more thought now.

No comments: