January 03, 2007

The Coming Year

Coming in with the new year I have some goals for myself, for my reading life and my role as the headmistress of our little private school. I don't call these resolutions because I am not resolute about them. In fact, they could change on a whim; but for today these are a few of the things I'd like to accomplish this year:
  • Poetry-the next list of titles I'd like to get through in The Well-Educated Mind by Bauer is the poetry list. I have been looking forward to this for a year.
  • History-I will be reading through some of the books my kids will read throughout the course of the next school year. As the kids will be in K, 5th and 9th grades I have a whole gamut of material for all levels. I don't think I can read all of them but I would at least like to read what the high schooler will be reading. Since he is the fastest reader I've ever met I have already gotten started.
  • Classics-this goes hand in hand with history. I thoroughly enjoyed reading some of the classic novels and want to continue, reading some other books by the same authors and some new authors that didn't make it onto the original list, like George Elliot.
  • Music-I want to spend more time listening to instrumental and classical music than rock and pop, without completely ignoring the latter. I want to surround myself with beautiful tunes that get my emotions moving in the right direction.
  • Religion-I want to study more of my Bible and the great theologians of my branch of Christianity. I hope to read some Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Lewis, and Sproul.
  • Routine-I am not a greatly organized person but I've built up a routine over the years. I'd like to hone it a bit so I can accomplish more of the above items. Perhaps I'll have a better chance of success this way.
  • Family-I list this last to give it prominence. I want to build tighter relationships with my husband and each of my kids. I want us to grow together as a family unit. I will do what I can to create an environment of respect and peace in my home.

This sure looks like a lot now that it's written down but if I work on these goals a little each day before spending time with, say, Sudoku or Zuma then I believe my year will have been productive and generate a feeling of calm in me that has been missing for a few years. Here's to a joyous New Year, for you and for me too.

No comments: