September 17, 2009

Review: Against the Odds

Against the Odds: Tales of Achievement
by L.M. Montgomery

I didn't even know this collection of short stories existed by the beloved author of Anne of Green Gables. All of these stories were published in various magazines and papers starting as far back as 1896. As noted int he title these are tales of achievement, specifically the achievement of dreams of young adults by means of honesty, hard work and ingenuity. My favorite of the stories were Dorinda's Desperate Deed and A Case of Trespass. Dorinda believes the way to get help is to ask for it, even if asking from a stubborn uncle who hasn't spoken with his family in years. And Dan in Trespass believes the honest confession is the best path when he finds he's been trespassing illegally. In all cases the stories end with rewards for those willing to do what it takes without compromising their integrity.

Yes the stories can be a bit repetitive and fantastical but they are infused with Montgomery's knack for quirky characters. They encourage principles and virtuous living.

One Word Review:
Successful

I am so glad that I was introduced to this collection through the Take a Chance Challenge. This was from the Random Word leg of the challenge. My word had been Achievement. That's 4 books down, two to go. I need to decide if I am ready to begin my adventures with Harry Potter just yet or if I can put it off for one more month. :)


4 comments:

Jenny said...

Have you read any of her other short story collections? There are several of them, and they are all much like this - sometimes repetitive but still rather sweet.

Petunia said...

I read "Chronicles of Avonlea" last year. It was boring. After my review I was told that it is commonly accepted that this one and its sequel are far inferior. I was also bored to tears with "The Story Girl". It took me two years to finish it. I'm glad "Against the Odds" wasn't along those lines.

Zibilee said...

I've never read a book by Montgomery before, but I have a few on my shelves, and my daughter has read many. I think that I am finally going to grab one soon and try to make a start. From all that I've read, she sounds like a wonderful author. Glad you liked this one.

Jenners said...

What a find! I just discovered Anne of Green Gables this year and loved it. I'm glad this challenge "found" you this book!