August 21, 2006

What Kind Of Book Is That?

I've just started reading a new book again. I'm not even 2 chapters into it but I can tell I will like this one very much. If on a winter's night a traveler is the name of the book and Italo Calvino is it's author. In chapter 1 there is this list that your mind goes through as you walk through a book store. Here it is:

*Books You Needn't Read
*Books Made For Purposes Other Than Reading
*Books Read Even Before You Open Them Since They Belong To The Catrgory Of Books Read Before Being Written
*Books That If You Had More Than One Life You Would Certainly Also Read But Unfortunately Your Days Are Numbered
*Books You Mean To Read But There Are Others You Must Read First
*Books Too Expensive Now And You Will Wait Till They're Clearanced
*Books Too Expensive Now And You Will Wait Till When They Come Out In Paperback
*Books You Can Borrow From Somebody
*Books That Everybody Has Read So It's As If You Had Read Them Too
*Books You've Been Planning To Read For Ages
*Books You've Been Hunting For Years Without Success
*Books Dealing With Something You're Working On At The Moment
*Books You Want To Own So They'll Be Handy Just In Case
*Books You Could Put Aside Maybe To Read This Summer
*Books You Need To Go With Other Books On Your Shelves
*Books That Fill You With Sudden, Inexplicable Curiosity, Not Easily Justified
*Books Read Long Ago Which It's Time To Reread
*Books You've Always Pretended To Have Read And Now It's Time To Sit Down And Really Read Them
*New Books Whose Authors Or Subject Appeals To You
*New Books By Authors Or On Subjects Not New (for you or in general)
*New Books By Authors Or On Subjects Completely New (at least to you)

Is this a great list for a book lover or what? I can see myself walking through B&N murmuring to myself, "That's a book I could maybe read this summer. That's a book I would read if I had more than one life time." I'm happy with If on a winter's night a traveler to be marked down in the category of Books I Am Glad I Bought In Hard Cover Since I Am Enjoying Them So Thoroughly. Happy reading!

No comments: