August 16, 2006

I'm Not Eating That!

I get a box of locally grown, organic vegetables once a week. I'm never really sure what I'm going to get. We do get a lot of things that we like, like tomatoes, potatoes, corn on the cob, zucchini, lettuce, and bell peppers. But sometimes we get something we are unfamiliar with. The sweet potatoes were a treat to me. I'm sure I have eaten them before but these were fantastic. I was the only one who ate them.

When we got our first eggplant the kids marveled. I don't know what they thought it would taste like(grape flavored perhaps?) but they didn't really like that one either. We tried it roasted with olive oil and salt, and then I made Eggplant Parmesan. Again I was the only one who enjoyed it.

Last week we got figs. I've never seen a fig before. When the kids asked what a fig is I could only say, "You know, like in Fig Newtons." I didn't know they are a fruit. They look almost like plums and have a very mild, melon-y flavor to them. I bet you can guess what comes next. The little ones didn't like them. I fed half of them to my friend's children, who, BTW, loved them.

This week we have eggplant and figs again. I will be up all night scouring the internet for descent recipes that will transform these flavorful veggies and fruits into something palatable for my picky clientele. Can anyone share their favorites with me?

No comments: