June 30, 2009

B&N Standouts

My thoughts on the best of Barnes & Nobles' Review for the month of June.

Five Books - One subject per week, five books per subject.
In the 4 weeks of June the subjects covered D-Day, Grilling, Fathers and Australia. Of the 20 books offered for consideration these are the books I found most interesting:
--The Bookmaker's Daughter by Shirley Abbott
--Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
--In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
--The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes

Guest Books - Notable readers share their favorite books.
I was most interested in Issac Slade of the band The Fray
--In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
--The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike
--The Plague by Albert Camus

The Long List - 50 books, CDS, and DVDs to know about now.
These looked good:
--Hello Goodbye by Emily Chenoweth (novel)
--The Blue Hour by Lillian Pizzichini (biography)
--Home Schooling by Carol Windley (short stories)
--The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (children's)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

The Byrson book is hilarious, I'd highly reccomend it.

I'm reading The Fatal Shore at the moment and finding it harrowing- very good though.

Sue said...

I started Leif Enger's second book today, So Brave, Young, and Handsome, and am thoroughly enjoying his prose. I'd love to be able to write some sentences like he does!