April 25, 2007

Newbery Challenge

I love a good reading challenge; and here's another one that's right up my alley. The Newbery Challenge hosted by Nattie Writes. You pick 6 books from the Newbery Award list to read between May 15th and Dec. 31st. Yeah, I think I can handle that.

I've chosen books that are either already on my bookshelves and/or that would be line up with our homeschool's historical period for next year. Here are my choices:
  1. Shen of the Sea by Arthur Bowie Crisman
  2. The Cat Who Went to Heaven by Elizabeth Coatsworth
  3. Adam of the Road by Elizabeth Janet Gray
  4. The Door in the Wall by Marguerite de Angeli
  5. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  6. The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman

I love YA fiction and I own quite a few of these titles already so I may read several extra books from the list just because. Thanks Nattie for this challenge.

8 comments:

Melwyk said...

Some excellent books here! Have you read Elizabeth George Speare's The Witch of Blackbird Pond? It's my favourite of hers.

Petunia said...

My oldest read it but I haven't yet. We'll see if I can't squeeze it in somewhere.

1morechapter said...

I really love both The Bronze Bow and The Whipping Boy.

Thanks for stopping by. It's always nice to see a fellow homeschooler!

Debi said...

My daughter and I are doing this challenge, too...could not resist it! I haven't read a single book on your list, but someday I'd like to get around to reading all the Newberry winners.
I love trying to match up our literature with the historical time periods we're studying, too. It's nice to give some depth to things, isn't it?

Carrie said...

"I am loving being immersed in fairytales and fantasy reading with the OUaT Challenge. Lackey sounds like an author I need to look out for. Do you have a recommendation for where to start? "

One of my favorite stand alone stories of Lackey's is "The Fire Rose"

Petunia said...

3m-I look forward to reading both of these. And I love your picture.

Debi-I chose these books so I can find good read-alouds for history with my 9yo and 5yo next year. I will certainly not limit myself to these 6 books in 8 months.

Carrie-thank you for the recommendation. I'll look it up at my library. Thanks for stopping in.

Unknown said...

I think I might try this one. I need a contest with shorter books. The chunkster one I'm doing is killing me but it will be done in June. Even if I'm not.
I haven't read any of the ones you have listed.
Witch of Blackbird Pond was a favorite when I was a kid. I don't remember anything beyond that I loved it.

Petunia said...

One of the reasons I love YA lit. is that it can be read quickly. I didn't join the chunkster challenge because it takes me a month to read anything over 500 pages. I'd never have time to read anything else.