December 12, 2006

A Challenge Met

Not only did I finish my Well Educated Mind novel list but I also completed the 50 Book Challenge. I heard about this challenge from 50 Books, the blog, and started my own running list. I've never kept track of what I read or how quickly (because I am generally very SLOW) but I thought, "Why not?" I am so pleased to see that I did in fact read 50 books in about 11 months. To see the list of the 50 books that I've read this year, scroll down and look in the sidebar on the right.

And here it is again. The ever revealing lists:

Top Ten Books

  1. Heart of Darkness
  2. The House of Mirth
  3. Persuasion
  4. A Little Princess
  5. The Human Comedy
  6. 1984
  7. Ex Libris
  8. Life Among the Savages
  9. The Wind in the Willows
  10. Yellow Star

The One I Hated Most

  1. Running With Scissors

This is not to say that the rest of my list was a waste of time. I enjoyed Forester and Sparks and a number of other authors represented here. I can see I'm prone to read fiction with occasional books on health or parental issues as I find a need. I prefer lists and following others' suggestions. It's hard to be discerning with so many books covered in critical acclaim, undeserved half the time. But overall, I'd say I got a lot out of my reading this year. It's so nice to have the list to refer back to.

Next year I hope to have a little more diversity in my selections, like poetry and history. I plan to read from award winning selections. And I hope to have time left to keep reading the classics and kiddy lit that I value so highly. Won't you join me?

No comments: