September 07, 2006

Motivation Meme

From Booking Through Thursday:

*What is your favorite kind of reading? Novels? Biographies? Mathematical textbooks?

I enjoy novels the most but I also like autobiographies and children's fiction.

*What do you like best about your favorite kind of reading? What keeps you coming back to that kind of book? Following a gripping story? Watching characters develop? Being educated about things and places you didn't know about? Letting your mind relax into someplace completely different?

I like stories. I like to step inside other people's lives, real or imagined, and learn about their experiences and philosophies about life. I take comfort in seeing how other people think and behave differently than me. I'm naturally an emotional person so experiencing the emotions of others is an interesting change. I know a book is really good when I feel the emotions of the characters. And maybe a little of it is also that my life is pretty humdrum and I can live vicariously through these stories. I can ask myself how I would handle the same situation. I want to learn from each person's life so I can be more comfortable and content with my own.

In children's fiction what I want is the fantasy and magic. I want to believe in fairies and unicorns. I want to pretend that I could be a princess. As an adult I know these things are not real but when I'm around children I like to pretend that I am a child that does believe. It reminds me of the best part of childhood.

No comments: