August 25, 2008

The R.I.P. III Challenge is Here Again



Carl is at it again! He is enticing me to join another reading challenge. I have participated in all of Carl's challenges from the beginning and can honestly say that he hosts the best challenges ever. This year he is making a change to the R.I.P. III Challenge. He is asking us to give a "pool" of possible reading options instead of a list that we will feel compelled to read but ultimately will stay from, resulting in a feeling of guilt. He has just made it too easy for me to join. Here is my pool:

  • The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale
  • Macbeth by William Shakespeare
  • The Nutcracker and the Golden Pot by E.T.A. Hoffmann
  • Seven Gothic Tales by Isak Dinesen
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
  • The Ghost Writer by John Harwood
  • A Fine and Private Place by Peter Beagle
  • Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
  • The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

Though I am having a very productive reading month I know it will slow down with the start of school next week so I am signing up for Peril the Second which only commits me to reading 2 of the above selections, with the hopes of getting to a couple more when I can. Happy reading!

10 comments:

DesLily said...

oh good! I've thought about The Woman in White a number of times but just haven't gotten it.. I'll be glad to see your thoughts on it when you read it

Carl V. Anderson said...

Best of luck in school next week! Dang life always getting in the way of pleasure!

I'm so glad I could entice you once again (insert evil laugh here). Great list...er, pool...of books. I hope you get to a bunch of them simply so I can read your reviews!

Robin said...

Great list! You've got some of my favorites on there, including Macbeth.

J.L. Danger said...

Everyone is talking about this challenge! I want to join- is it open to anyone?

Anonymous said...

Will be interested to read your reviews. The one by Isak Dinesen sounds interesting.

Petunia said...

Deslily-it's a pretty thick book so we'll see if I can get to it.

Carl-I'll give it my best shot.

Robin-there hasn't been a Shakespeare play yet that I didn't love so I'm looking forward to Hamlet.

J.Danger-it is definitely open to the public. If there is only one challenge that you join this year let it be this one. I hope you'll participate.

Rhinoa-I've never read Dinesen before so I am curious about it too. Plus, being a book of short stories, it's more likely to get included as I can squeeze in a story here and there as I have 10 minutes.

Kathleen Gilligan said...

Macbeth is great, although I think I prefer comedies! Shakespeare's tragedies are done so well though :)

Ana S. said...

We are both reading A Fine and Private Place :) The rest of your list looks great too!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Great list Petunia! I think I might do Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell for this year's challenge as well. I've heard really good things about The Woman in White. Enjoy your reading!

Anonymous said...

MacBeth is my favorite Shakespeare play.

Seven Gothic Tales has been on my shelves for ages! I hope you like them enough to get me reading it. :)