May 17, 2007

Review:The Tail of Emily Windsnap

Last week I said I wouldn't have anything book related to post about for a while. I'm not sure where my head was but I have recently finished reading, or listening to, 3 books. Today I am here to review, review, review.


The Tail of Emily Windsnap
by Liz Kessler

I picked up this book on CD at the library with my Goldilocks in mind. One of the things she shares with her mama is a love of romantic and fantastical stories that include magic, fairies, unicorns, and/or mermaids. Listening to this was a joy because the gal they had do the reading(at the moment I can't recall her name) is very young and captured the spirit of awe and insecurity that you would expect of a 12 year old who discovers she is a mermaid. Not only that but I absolutely love the cover art.

The story is about Emily Windsnap, the only child and her mother who can't swim but lives in a docked boat. After she makes her discovery about what she is, she meets another mermaid her own age, Shona, and slowly uncovers the truth of her origin. The tale is fun with just the right amount of suspense to keep any girl reading. My own daughter who hates suspense loved this story.

And not just my daughter loved it. The Dragon Slayer, my teen aged son, heard an excerpt of it and it peaked his interest enough that he checked out the book from the library and read it in less than an hour.
There are 2 more Emily Windsnap books that follow:Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep and Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist.

This book happened to coincide with a table decorating contest that Goldilocks and I participated in where our theme was Underwater. We and the 5 other friends at our table won the grand prise for having the most detailed table. Afterward, Goldilocks kept the decorations to play with. This is what she created:

That would be Emily and Shona eating seaweed burgers, fish salad and fresh starfish.

No comments: