October 24, 2009

Eighteenth Hour Mini-Challenge

Libri Touches has come up with a great challenge that gets the grey cells moving. Have you ever heard of a drabble before? Neither have I. It's a story consisting of exactly 100 words. So here is my reading related drabble:

"When I read the short story The Eyes by Edith Wharton it brought me back to my childhood. My fear of mirrors returned as I remembered the Bloody Mary stories my friends told me. Even as an adult I have had a difficult time shaking this fear. As I walked to bed that night I ducked under pictures with reflective glass and would not use the restroom for fear of seeing a figure reflected back at me. I even tucked my feet under my comforter so nothing under the bed could get me. I will never read that story again."

I ended up having to remove all the adjectives and adverbs to get it down to 100 words but the point wasn't to create a masterpiece, thank heavens. And I want to give a great big THANK YOU to my childhood chums(that would be you Shannon and Heather!) for scaring the CRAP out of me and altering my perception of the world irrevocably. May the Eyes watch you in your sleep forevermore.

6 comments:

vickie said...

dont watch mirrors with keifer sutherlin creepy

Shanra said...

Ugh. I can completely relate to childhood scarring by books/stories. I have two books.

Shanra said...

I think I'm still half asleep. I have two books that scarred me. Thankfully, my friends had better sense than to tell me scary stories...

Eva said...

We're coming up on the final quarter! You've done great so far-see it through to the end! You can do it!

Congrats at doing this challenge-my brain shut down when faced w/ it! lol

Susan Whelan said...

What a great post. Reminds me of reading Stephen King's "It". I've never looked at clowns the same way again. :-)

Looks like you've been busy during readathon. Hope you're having fun.

Happy Reading!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

You've done a great job! Keep it up and enjoy that last book!