May 10, 2009

Review: A Reliable Wife

A Reliable Wife
by Robert Goolrick

"It was just a story of people, of Ralph and Emilia and Antonio and Catherine and the mothers and the fathers who died, too soon or late, of people who had hurt one another as much as people can do, who had been selfish and not wise, and had become trapped inside the bitter walls of memories they wished they had never had.

It was just a story of how the bitter cold gets into your bones and never leaves you, of how the memories get into your heart and never leave you alone, of the pain and the bitterness of what happens to you when you're small and have no defenses but still know evil when it happens, of secrets about evil you have no one to tell, of the life you live in secret, knowing your own pain and the pain of others but helpless to do anything other than the things you do, and the end it all comes to."-excerpt from A Reliable Wife

This was one of the most beautifully written and achingly sorrowful novels I have ever read. But it is not without hope. There is a lot of sex and depravity in A Reliable Wife but for me it was worth it. I read all 300 pages in two days and for me that is a feat. This book was mesmerising.

Buy this book at Amazon.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm really looking forward to this book. I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day!

Amy said...

I agree 100%! ;)

Zibilee said...

I loved the excerpt that you posted. It Sounds like a very interesting and captivating book.

Melissa said...

I keep hearing great things about this one. I really need to get myself a copy!

Marie Cloutier said...

Sex AND depravity? What an endorsement.

Seriously though- great review. I really need to get to this one soon.