February 25, 2009

B&N Standouts

My thoughts on the best of Barnes & Noble's Review.

Five Books - John Updike
  1. Couples
  2. Rabbit Angstrom
  3. More Matter
  4. Roger's Version
  5. Too Far to Go
I've never read Updike. If I could only choose one title I'd go for More Matter since it's all about literary criticism. An author's opinion of another author's work could definitely be interesting.


Spotlight - the must haves
Voluntary Madness by Norah Vincent, a memoir about being locked up in different mental institutions
It Itches by Franklin Habit, cartoons and light essays about knitting


The Long List - 50 Books, CDs, and DVDs featured weekly
My favorites are:
The Vagrants by Yiyun Li (I've already read it but it was good enough to mention again.)
The Last Days of the Romanovs by Helen Rappaport
The Pushcart Prize XXXIII by Bill Henderson

3 comments:

Amy said...

By the way, I bought the Vagrants based on your review and look forward to reading it sometime (soon, I hope!)

Petunia said...

Thanks for telling. I hope you like it.

Zibilee said...

Voluntary Madness sounds very interesting and like something I would really like to take a look at. Had not heard of it before. Thanks for posting this!