November 24, 2008

National Book Awards 2008

From their web site:
"On March 15, 1950, a consortium of book publishing groups sponsored the first
annual National Book Awards Ceremony and Dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in
New York City. Their goal was to enhance the public's awareness of exceptional
books written by fellow Americans, and to increase the popularity of reading in
general."


The winners for 2008 have been announced:
-Fiction: Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen (Modern Library)
-Nonfiction: The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family by Annette Gordon-Reed, (Norton)
-Young people's literature: What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell (Scholastic)
-Poetry: Fire to Fire: New and Collected Poems by Mark Doty (HarperCollins)

Looks like some good Christmas gift ideas for the serious reader.

1 comment:

Tasha said...

I'm reading What I Saw and How I Lied now. I don't know how it ends, so I don't have an overall opinion yet, but so far it's very good. I don't particularly like or relate to the main character, and yet I'm curious to find out what happens to her.