August 03, 2008

The Sunday Salon

My reading picked up more this week but you wouldn't know it because my attention was divided among several choices. I just finished Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. It's a little different than what I expected but I need to think about it before I review it. I'm also working my way through Writer to Writer by Bodie and Brock Thoene. They give writing direction and encouragement from a Christian point of view. I am finding it pretty helpful, more than I thought it would be. I am also reading some short stories by W. Somerset Maugham called Rain and other South Sea Stories. They are interesting character sketches with strong endings. They remind me a little of Maugham's contemporary, Edith Wharton. The last title vying for my attention is the audio book Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. It is an interesting biography about a young man who leaves all his possessions behind to pursue the ultimate backpacking trip through Alaska. He loses his life in the pursuit of enlightenment and a closer communion with nature.

This is our last week of swimming lessons and lifeguard training. It has been a good summer for hanging out with our friends and getting exercise. The summers from my childhood were never this restful. And I could use all the rest I can get as school will be starting soon enough. Have a great week everyone.

4 comments:

jlshall said...

Maugham has always been a favorite of mine, but I don't think he's read much anymore. Glad to see you're enjoying his stories. Hope the rest of your summer is just as nice as the part that's already gone!

John (@bookdreamer) said...

Yes C.S.Lewis is not simple
My Sunday Salon Post

Petunia said...

JLSHall-I had never heard of him before recently, though a couple of his titles sound vaguely familiar.

John-I think some parts are too simple. I want a couple of things explained in more detail. Guess I'll just have to read more of his work.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Mere Christianity is a heavy duty read, that's for sure! I think I'd have to read it a dozen times to begin to grasp it.