July 30, 2008

Rolling in Smoke

I've been a bit of a nervous wreck this week. I got the news Sunday about the big fire in the Yosemite Valley. My Dad lives there and was evacuated Saturday night. Currently his house is still standing but he is surrounded by fire on three sides. We've been praying he is spared.

Then I heard yesterday about the earthquake near L.A. Lovely. Mom and other family live about 20 minutes from the epicenter. Everyone is fine. The only damage was a broken plate. In fact, Mom was driving and didn't even feel it.

So far everyone is safe and sound but not yet out of danger. Sometimes living in Calif. has its drawbacks.

6 comments:

Jeane said...

I know how you feel. I have fam in CA and in Seattle. I remember once a few years ago I heard on the radio there was an earthquake in Seattle- I think it was a six? can't remember- and I was terribly anxious. But everyone was fine, not even fazed. I do hope your father is safe.

Robin said...

Those fires are awful! I hope all will be well with your father and his home. And I'm glad your Southern California family is okay after the earthquake. I hope the rest of the week for you and your extended family is nice and quiet, with nothing major happening!!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

I hope everything turns out OK--and hopefully rain will come your way soon! We've had a couple of scares in the past when my sister-in-law and family lived in Tahoe. Glad there are no injuries for you to report!

Anonymous said...

The fires are awful this year, I hope your father and his house are safe! I hear it's 40% contained.

I was driving over the Richmond/San Rafael bridge yesterday morning remembering that earthquakes come in clusters. I just don't want to be on a bridge when the next one hits up here.

Ti said...

I can relate. I am from So. Cal and last October we evacuated due to fire and of course we felt this last earthquake too.

I hope your Dad's house is okay. There is nothing worse that not knowing if your house is still standing or how close the fire is getting.

LisaMM said...

I read the later post that he went home, so that's great. I'm glad his home was spared.

We live about 15 miles from the epicenter of the last quake and definitely felt it!! We were in a packed movie theater, scary! At home we just had 2 broken picture frames and a little glass on the floor.