July 02, 2008

Review: Chocolat

Chocolat
by Joanne Harris

I'll make this short and sweet. I didn't like it. I didn't like how everyone that you are supposed to dislike is connected to the church. I didn't like that those you are supposed to feel sympathetic towards are just as rude and ignorant as those you are supposed to hate. I didn't care for the amoral flavor. And I don't agree with the premise that life would be happy for everyone if we all just followed our desires and disregarded the rule. Not to mention the book was boring throughout and anti-climatic at the end. That about covers it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, short and sweet indeed. Very well put :)

Eva said...

So, you'll be reading lots more Joanne Harris in the future then? lol ;)

I've never read the book, but I enjoyed the movie!

Jeane said...

Well, sounds like that's one to put on the avoid-forever list!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Yikes! I haven't read the book but I really like the movie--the movie to me didn't seem quite so black and white. Oh well--I hope the next read for you is great!

Anonymous said...

Seems like a reasonable review. I've never been drawn to the book or the movie and your review of it more than likely sums up why.

People forget that rules were not (generally) passed to cause unhappiness and pain but because there are Bad People out there, in varying degrees.

Anonymous said...

Fun review. On the other hand I loved the book precisely because it turned things around. I don't like books that are overly christian (a bit is ok) probably because I am a pagan. I loved themagical aspects and it was itneresting to see flawed characters who are usually seen as respectful and pious. It's always interesting to read the review of someone who thought the complete opposite to me about a book :)

wisteria said...

You are hysterical. Now tell us how you really feel. I guess I won't be reading that book any time soon. LOL

Unknown said...

oh my....

You know, it's kind of fun to write and read a bad review now and then.

Honesty is always appreciated.

CJ said...

Great review, Petunia.

It's nice for a change to be logging a book as 'don't bother' because the things that bothered you would probably drive me nuts, too.

cjh