June 12, 2008

Booking Through Thursday - Clubbing

Have you ever been a member of a book club? How did your group choose (or, if you haven’t been, what do you think is the best way to choose) the next book and who would lead discussion?

Do you feel more or less likely to appreciate books if you are obliged to read them for book groups rather than choosing them of your own free will? Does knowing they are going to be read as part of a group affect the reading experience?

I started a Book and Movie group this year. I wanted it to be a voluntary and equitable process so the members who are able choose a month to host a book. They offer 2 or 3 book options, then the group votes for the book they are most interested in. Then the host runs the show, sometimes with my help, sometimes without.

As for my appreciation, I prefer to read a book for myself before I find out what others have gotten from it. I don't want my mind to be influenced before I've had an opinion of my own. But afterward I greatly enjoy to hear about the experiences of others. These can deepen my appreciation of a work without prejudicing my initial conceptions. This holds true whether I'm hearing someone else's views or watching a movie adaptation.

2 comments:

Ravenous Reader said...

Do you see books that have been made into movies? That would be interesting, to discuss the differences.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Ooh, a movie group. That is a cool idea!