March 31, 2008

Movie Watch for 2008

March
19.The Siege-a man's action movie with Bruce Willis as the bad guy. Hated it.

20.Beaches-a movie from my childhood that I wanted to watch again. This was the movie that made me a Bette Midler fan. But the movie was pretty lame. Very chick-flick.

21.Girl, Interrupted-Winona Rider was made for this movie. Her extremely uncomfortable look at a young woman deciding whether she is crazy or brilliant is often tough to watch but very compelling and authentic. I want to read the book it's based on.

22.Love in the Time of Cholera-followed the book surprisingly well. The story of a man who dedicates his life to loving a woman who has rejected him. A very unromantic love story.

23.The Princess Bride-needs no explanation. I just wanted to watch it after finally reading the book. A lot of fun.

February
10.The Painted Veil-Very highly recommend
11.Mrs. Dallaway
12.Heartbreakers
13.Ali
14.The Lives of Others-very moving
15.Becoming Jane-Recommend
16.Crash
17.Persuasion
18.10 Things I Hate About You
January
1.Amazing Grace-very well done
2.Eragon
3.Atonement-A favorite!
4.If Only
5.Evening
6.La Vie en Rose
7.Ethan Frome
8.The Namesake
9.Shakespeare

6 comments:

Eva said...

I SO want to see la Vie en Rose-I love Edith Piaf. :)

I loved the book The Namesake, so I'm boycotting the movie. But you might want to try the book! The writing is stunning.

Petunia said...

I'd heard it was a book. I'll have to give it a try.

Anonymous said...

I love Edith Piaf too, my French teacher in High School used to play her music all the time. Hers and Jaques Brel. I enjoyed the movie but it did hop around somewhat maniacally. And wasn't she a pill?

Kayleigh said...

Atonement broke my heart! I cried so much when the ending arrived, I just didn't think it was very fair. Saoirse Ronan was amazing in it as Briony.

Petunia said...

kayleigh-I completely understand. I walked out of the theater gasping for breath.

Anonymous said...

Atonement looked and felt a lot like Pride and Prejudice... i'd recommend the latter if you haven't seen it yet