September 20, 2007

Two for the Price of One

I missed out on last week's really good Booking Through Thursday but since this week's question is connected to it I'll answer them together.

Okay . . . picture this (really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.
What do you read?


When life is rough I need a good cry. I read something that says, "Yea, life hurts. It beats you to a bloody pulp. But the reward at the end is worth it." I don't often reread but here are some titles that would be good for a bummer day: Jane Eyre, House of Mirth(she dies but he loves her), Mansfield Park, or Persuasion. Abusive but life affirming.


Imagine that everything is going just swimmingly. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all’s right with the world. You’re practically bouncing from health and have money in your pocket. The kids are playing and laughing, the puppy is chewing in the cutest possible manner on an officially-sanctioned chew toy, and in between moments of laughter for pure joy, you pick up a book to read . . .
What is it?


When I'm ultra happy I want the good guys to cream the bad guys. I want something all life affirming. Humor is good too. This is where Pride and Prejudice or Little Women would come in. Old childhood classics that are fun like Wind in the Willows or Robin Hood. Something fantastical and full of magic. Stardust or Princess Bride. And I think I'd be much more able to handle scary when I'm on cloud nine.

7 comments:

Booklogged said...

good answers to these two situations.

Anonymous said...

You answered well to both questions.

Jodie Robson said...

Oh yes! I hadn't thought of Persuasion for a sad times read - excellent choice!

Petunia said...

Thanks ladies! =)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Wow, great answers! both of these questions were difficult for me to answer since I'm not really a mood reader.

Booklogged said...

Petunia, I forgot to mention how lovely your blog looks. Love the fall leaves and the pleasing shade of orange.

Petunia said...

Trish-sometimes I read according to my mood and sometimes not. It depends on my mood. =)

Booklogged-thanks. I loved the autumn picture for the header. This shade of orange is a bit bright for me but it went well with the header.