July 02, 2007

Reading My Bible


As every christian at some point does, I have tried numerous times to read through the whole Bible in a relatively short amount of time. Most people try for one year. I would have been happy with two years or five years. Much to my shame, I am now confessing that in 12 years of being a believer there are still books in the Bible that I've never read, in part or in whole. But I was inspired by this article by Noel Piper that I came across in my web surfing last night.

Mrs. Piper, the wife of author John Piper, didn't write a "this is what you should do" post but a "this is what worked for me this year" post. Her ideas are not groundbreaking or phenomenal but they allowed her to accomplish her goal, not just adequately but with great pleasure.

So I am starting a new personal reading challenge: to read through my Bible in a year and to note which books I have read at the end of each month for accountability. There is nothing like putting your goals and results out there for the world to scrutinize to keep one focused.
This new goal will affect my other goals and challenges but I believe it to be the worthiest goal I could accomplish so I am making it the #1 priority. If you would like to give it a try for yourself please leave me a comment. I'd love to have a buddy.

3 comments:

kookie said...

I'm glad you are doing this, Pet. I think more Christians should make it a point to read their Bible. I've read it (and I'm an atheist) and I'm always surprised how many people who say they believe it have never read it. Good for you.

Stephanie said...

Yeah...I tried this once or twice myself. Both times I tried to pick it up and read cover to cover. I could never get out of Genesis!!

I definitely need to find a way to read it in a diffent way. Thanks for sharing the article!

By the way, if you don't mind, I'd love to add you to my blogroll!

1morechapter said...

I just finished the NT. I'd like to read the OT, too. I've read all of it before except for pieces of Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekial. I might join you unofficially to keep track of my progress.