July 12, 2007

Booking Through Thursday

1.In your opinion, what is the best translation of a book to a movie?
Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth was excellent. I also loved Jane Eyre with Toby Stephens, Silas Marner with Ben Kingsley, and , though it took a few liberties, A Midsummer Night's Dream with Michelle Pfeiffer because it is fun and does a great job of capturing the magical quality of the play.

2. The worst?
I have to say Ella Enchanted, which was nothing like the book and so much worse. Also, The House of Mirth with Gillian Anderson. It is probably my favorite book but the movie was boring beyond belief.

3. Had you read the book before seeing the movie, and did that make a difference? (Personally, all other things being equal, I usually prefer whichever I was introduced to first.)
I read the book first in each of these cases except for A Midsummer Night's Dream. I don't require that the movie match up with the book exactly but it must give the same emotional impression. But a movie that strays too far from the book I would consider as a totally different story.

No comments: