July 21, 2006

Auto-what did you call me?

There is a certain blog that I visit frequently. Mental-Multivitamin. This lady is smart. I mean, the smart people in your life probably visit her blog for new ideas to ponder. She refers to herself as an autodidact. I always assumed it had to do with writing or self-expression. Well the other day I decided to look it up in the dictionary.

Autodidact: n. a self-taught person.

Hey! That's me! Ever since we decided to homeschool the kiddos I have been on an educational journey right along with them. I never realised how interesting history was, or science. I didn't understand literature in high school but now I can't get enough of it. I love learning.

But what is learning of facts if I can't process them, understand them, and articulate them? A few months back I took part in an email discussion with a couple other women about Edith Wharton's classic House of Mirth. I was forced to communicate my ideas so as to be understood. I found that I gained a better understanding of my own mind by this exercise. It was exciting.

So that's why I'm here, in Blogdom. I want to share about what I'm learning, from books and also from life. It may not benefit anyone but me. No one else may really care. But I benefit. I care. And ultimately that's what it's all about.

No comments: